The New Zealand Animal Law Association is a coalition of lawyers working to improve the welfare and lives of animals through the legal system. We currently have over 200 lawyers throughout the country signed up, from Whangarei to Invercargill, spanning various practice areas, including lawyers working for large commercial law firms, criminal and civil litigators, in-house counsel, lawyers working for government and the judiciary, and include a Queens Counsel. The Association also has a number of honorary patrons, including the Honourable Michael Kirby AC CMG Australia (pictured).
Photo credit: Marcus Mok
- Promoting positive legislative reform of animal law by writing submissions and reports to Select Committees and the National Animal Welfare Advisory Committee;
- Improving public awareness of animal law through public lectures, seminars, and other outreach efforts;
- Providing free legal assistance to animal protection organisations;
- Assisting with animal cruelty prosecutions; and
- Promoting the field of animal law at New Zealand law schools through community placement programmes.
Support our work by visiting our Givealittle page